Wear it Wednesday: LBD

It's Wednesday again! And this week for Wear it Wednesday, we are together! Hurrah! We braved the 95 degree heat for a lovely bibimbap (YUM) lunch in celebration of Paloma's birthday. 

As a refresher - every Wednesday we will feature an item or look and each style it our own way - so you get two spins on the same look.  Today we featured the classic of all classics - the Little Black Dress.


Dress: J.Crew (alternative with cute scalloped neckline)
Shoes: Zara (alternative, alternative)
Bag: Madewell (great and much cheaper alternative)
Sunglasses: Prada

Paloma says...

Nothing says "happy birthday to me!" quite like lunch with a beloved friend, fabulous shoes, and brand new sunglasses (thanks, Mom!).  Even the fact that it is exactly 4 billion degrees outside for the 6th day in a row can't get me down.

So the LBD is an item that I think we all know is a must in every woman's closet.  I think you can literally wear it with anything.  Knowing we were featuring the LBD for Wear it Wednesday, I tossed around a ton of different possibilities in my head - scarf, blazer, cardigan, statement necklace?  But this morning, when it was already 85 degrees at 7:00 am and I was rushing around trying to get out the door by a decent time without my kids smearing their banana-covered faces/fingers, all I could come up with was LBD + fabulous shoes.  Not to mention the idea of putting a scarf or blazer on was far from appealing. And you know what? I think it's perfect.  Nothing better to pair with loud shoes than a classic black shift dress.


Dress: Ella Moss (similar)
Jacket: StitchFix - Market & Spruce (similar from Express)
Shoes: Sole Society (similar with D'orsay shape)
Clutch: J.Crew (on sale)
Necklace: J.Crew Factory (super similar)

Karen says...

HBD to Paloma in her LBD!  I'm so honored to be able to take this lovely lady out to lunch on her birthday.  As is always the case with Paloma, it all worked out - birthday lunch, and photos together for WIW.

When we were discussing what to feature, I just randomly thought, how about LBD.  Because that's the thing you think you have at least a few of.  And then it turned out that I must've purged or donated most of my work LBD's.  I pulled out this old Ella Moss number from 2008 - which still fits, thank God, because of its general cut, but then it's much more billowy than I would have liked.  Compound that with the fact that it basically has a keyhole-halter situation in the front and back, NSFW, which gave me an excuse to wear the wonderful StitchFix blazer my sister gave me last month.

One more wrinkle - it is hotter than hell outside.  So I put that jacket on only for the photo and for a few moments here in the office.

One more anecdote: while this photo was being taken, a seedy-looking guy was walking by and sort of leering at us.  (I can't blame him, when I'm standing there posing shamelessly.)  He made a sort of off-color, flirtatious comment - and then got his foot stuck in our plastic bag of leftovers that we had set on the ground.  So then he dragged our leftovers across the street for a few feet, all the while with that lascivious look on his face.  And so we burst out laughing.  And then he liberated his foot from our food.  And then we laughed some more.  So that's why I'm all grins here!  (And because it's Paloma's birthday!  Woot!)

Comments